Sunday, April 22, 2018

Final Inspirations from Ms. Herath

Before I left Erie, I spent some time with the assistant principal Ms. Herath. She asked me a few questions she looks for in an interview and was very kind to offer me some advice and words of inspiration. She also took the time to answer a few of my questions. I could tell you all the basic questions she asked and my responses, but there is one big highlight I just need to say that sums it all. 

The infamous jar of rubber bands!
One of the questions she asked me is "What do I think makes me unique?" I told her about my time spent with Red Creek Wildlife Center. She was pleased with my answer, but then proceeded to tell me she brings with her a jar of rubber bands to every interview. She then pointed to the jar on a shelf in front of her desk. I gave her an intrigued smile and asked, "Why?" 

Ms. Herath replies, "That jar of rubber bands reminds me to always be flexible with my students. A rubber band will stretch when needed but return to its shape once it's job is done. You will also notice that the rubber bands are of different shapes, sizes, and colors. This is to remind me that every student is unique, and will need flexibility in different ways." I sat there in pure awe. So much emotion and passion in just a few simple statements. I was so moved by her passion. She told me I can borrow her idea any time, and I surely do plan on it. 


Ms. Herath asked me for a selfie! #instafamous

No comments:

Post a Comment