Sunday, April 22, 2018

Tool ID SLO

With the short time I had left to complete my SLO, I had limited options. I decided my best choice was to complete an SLO on my Tool ID unit. I started by administering a pretest to see what my students knew. As I assumed, most of them did poor. I however was quite surprised that a few did get get about 1/3 correct. 

In previous years, students just had small black and white poor quality pictures. They wrote names and definitions just on a lined sheet of paper. I came up with a different teaching method that I thought would better suit my array of students. I found new pictures and designed them in a flashcard format. I gave students the blank cards and had them write the names and definitions on them. 

I divided the cards into 3 chunks. I taught the first chunk, about 60 tools, then reviewed with games for 3 days. I then taught the next 60 tools, then reviewed both the second and first chunk. I then completed the set totaling 187 tools. I then reviewed the set as a whole. I then administered there post test. 

The students overall did a lot better. I was quite pleased! There was on average of almost a 20 point increase on the ID score and over 7 on the definitions quiz. I definitely suggest making flashcards of various styles whenever possible. It definitely helped my kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment